Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Route

Will be this. I'm going to pinpoint a few places along the way that I would like to stop and see.

1. Columbia, SC-  I definitely want to stop and give major hugs and kisses to a particular big bay pony who has my heart.

2. Lexington, KY- 9ish hours from Hilton Head. Maybe stop here the first night? While here I definitely want to visit the Kentucky Horse Park. I only went there once when I was 10 for pony finals but never got to see the actual park. I also want to see Keeneland if time permits.
KHP- There's a H/J show that weekend. Sadly it's the week AFTER pony finals :(
Keeneland- Something is going on that weekend although I have no idea what it is.





3. Louisville, KY- I HAVE to go see Churchill Downs. It would be a literal crime to drive through Louisville and not stop.
Churchill Downs (which sadly will not have any live racing in August)


4. St. Louis, MO- I'd like to stop and see the Gateway Arch but it's not necessary. If it was a nightly stop over I'd like to also go see the Budweiser Brewery but it doesn't look like we will be stopping there overnight.


5. Kansas City, KS- Probably the 2nd night's stop. 9.5 hours from Lexington, maybe longer depending on where/when we decide to stop. There seems to be nothing of particular interest here except for maybe a hotel bed.


It seems like there is NOTHING between KC and Greeley. It looks like the last day of the drive will be 600+ miles and 10+ hours of flat, flat, flat fields. Boring. Maybe a good day to catch up on sleep and reading and movies. And this will be a welcome sight after all the flatness of KS :)


I am open to any and all suggestions of cool places to stop along that route :)

1 comment: